• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

narcolepsy

Godzilla

Bluelighter
I know this probably shouldn't be posted here but have a quick question. My aunt has struggled with narcolepsy for 20+ years. She is pretty informed on the disease. I was wondering if anyone here currently struggles with it and if there are any real supplements nootropics or drugs that are effective for treatment. Thanks. A lot of bluelighters know inside knowledge that the medical community might not know about or accept.

One of the few legit medical uses for GHB (brand name Xyrem) is for narcolepsy. Pretty bizarre as GHB is pretty stimulating unless you take enough to knock yerself out completely and if you do KO yourself you tend to wake up with rebound stimulation an hour or so later. But if I had narcolepsy I'd happily take the script and overlook its possible drawbacks on the doing what it's scripted for side :D

Not much use as a response perhaps but always did tickle me that a drug that fucks with your sleeping pattern so much is pretty much only scripted to those with fucked sleeping patterns.

Yes it seems bizarre but that is because with lower doses GHB affects other receptors: GHB-receptors that are stimulating. In higher doses this shifts to GABA action, it might be that this shift is so concentration-critical that it is the reason for the relatively small 'therapeutic index'.
When you have taken a high dose and recover from it, the levels of GHB in your body eventually drop until they are like a low dose again, which is why you get a stimulant effect. Also, since GABA action seizes there might be mild acute withdrawal / paradoxical effects translated through monoamine or glutamate action.

So for narcolepsy the doses would be lower than for sleep induction. I would venture a guess that a good dose for narcolepsy would be half of a recreational dose that approaches a KO point. So that would be what? 1 gram? I am used to calculating with saturated solutions though... 4 ml is a whole dose so 2 ml half.

But I would be wary about fucking around with GHB without supervision, especially when talking about chronic medication. If you do such a thing I predict that the way to do it is never increase or decrease your doses, and expect discontinuation withdrawal, which for a 'half a dose' habit should be quite transient and manageable.

Again though: consult a physician.

How is this related to psychedelics though?? No idea though if you rather want this in OD/BDD, I think Other Drugs covers pharmaceuticals. Which GHB is, in this particular form and application of xyrem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy#Treatment

I would also keep modafinil in mind. I have that stuff myself and really appreciate that it promotes alertness without having the load or charge of feeling as if really on a drug. It is very clean and to the point. For AD(H)D it might still be controversial, but with something like narcolepsy if it were me I'd rather see if modafinil catches on than the ritalin/amphetamine kind of stuff. The actual stimulants as opposed to mere wakefulness promotors.

Last edited:
^^ Ya, should have made it clear that I wasn't recommending folks try to self-medicate with GHB cos it's addictive as hell. Tis lush too though so if I could get it scripted legit... :D

I'm sure the doses used would be below KO doses but that's what I find odd - that's when it's at it's most stimulating. I guess there must be a sweet spot that somehow manages to be sedating without knocking you out or being massively euphoric and speedy but it would be one hell of a hard sweet spot to find and I've certainly never found it.